Wednesday, February 11, 2015

"Me Big Girl"

Extended breastfeeding, or breastfeeding after one year of age, is something that is not well received in this country.  I breastfed Ladybug until she was four years old and weaned her when we were trying to get pregnant.  She knows that she breastfed until then, and still jokes that she wants "mommy-milk".  When she says this, I usually joke back with her, "hey, there is some in the freezer for you downstairs."  After much reflection, though, isn't she really asking for the closeness that comes with such an activity?

What can be frustrating is that everyone has an opinion on extended breastfeeding, even if it does not concern them. Forget the fact that babies who have breastfed over year have higher IQ scores, engage in more diverse diets, and theoretically have fewer issues with allergies, etc.  Forget about the fact that when GI illnesses strike and the kid does not want to eat or drink, she can still maintain hydration because her source of comfort when she is feeling ill just so happens to be a source of fluid and electrolytes. At any rate, the discussion of weaning really, in my humble opinion, should be made by the dyad in question. 

For a fleeting moment today, I wondered if Honey Pie's nursing days were coming to an immediate end.  HP is now 2 and 1/2 years old.  She is still nursing, although, not as intensely as her sister did.  Ladybug was a gymnastic nurser, trying various positions, working very hard to squeeze every last ounce of milk out of my body.  HP, on the other hand, usually lies quietly, coaxing milk out with her hands only when necessary. 

Imagine my initial surprise when HP and I had the following conversation right before nap.  Let me set the stage first.  Usually, we will sit in the rocking chair in her room and nurse while we read a few books.  Then, I will lay her down, sometimes rubbing her back to sleep or nursing her for another minute. 
Me:  HP, time to get in the chair to read stories.
HP: Me stand right here (next to the rocking chair).
Me: Don't you want milk while we read?
HP: Mommy-milk is for babies, me big girl. 
Me:  Babies?  Sometimes girls have mommy-milk.  So, you don't want mommy-milk? (Inside I was laughing, because this 'big girl' nursed all last night because she was not feeling well.)
HP: No (EMPHATICALLY!) Me big girl.
Me:  OK. (I proceeded to read.  Then asked her to get into her bed).
HP:  (Sly smile).  Me want mommy-milk. 
Me:  I thought mommy-milk was for babies?
HP: No, big girls want mommy-milk too!

In recounting this discussion with someone very dear to me, she asked if I would have been relieved, knowing that the ending of  the nursing part of the relationship would be over, but that HP was ready for this.  I will have to think that over.  Dealing with change and transitions have never been my strong suit. I will definitely need to think this over.

No comments:

Post a Comment