Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Lips

Last week I attended my daughter's parent-teacher conference.  She had been all excited for me to see her artwork which featured an Egyptian mummy.  This is the daughter for whom drawing is a pain.  It requires her to sit still and movement is where she finds solace.

Well, we entered the school and there, on the wall was her mummy.  It was beautifully colored and it looked like she had spent a considerable amount of time on it.  Admittedly, the first thing that we noticed were the lips.  They were fairly large, but it seemed to flow.

When we arrived home, I told her how proud of her that I was and that we saw her picture.

Ladybug: I went a little crazy on the lips, though.
Me: What makes you say that?
Ladybug: I just did.
Me: Did someone say something to you?  I thought your picture was great just the way it was. 
Ladybug: No, I just do.

Which got me thinking.  Why would she have made the lips so big?  Artistic license?  Uncertain boundaries? 

Or maybe, she feels the need to be heard! Bigger lips, more voice?  Crazy linkage on my part.  However, maybe today, I will make a better effort to hear what comes out of those lips.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Interesting. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of Egyptian masks have big lips. Maybe she saw one of them and in her eye, she tried to mimic it. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. Either way, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete