Monday, November 9, 2015

Simple Things

It seems like gratitude is everywhere: self-help books, church, friends, sisters' blogs, etc.  I am not complaining about this in the least.  I believe that it is important to be grateful for things that we have been given, whether it be talents that enabled us to work hard for one thing or another, health, family, whatever.  I am extremely grateful. 

Currently, I am in my office.  Office, you say? Yes.  I am in my office which is housed in my basement.  To my left, my laundry assistant, the Samsung front loader is washing my clothes. To my right, is a soothing cup of mint tea that I am drinking in a enormous Bee mug from a dear friend from my Ann Arbor days. In my office resides several other very important items: a Frigidaire deep freezer that is full of gelato, gluten free and other types of bread, homemade chicken broth that D made over the weekend, and a variety of other extremely important foods. Behind me, stands our furnace and water heater which assists us with staying warm and providing us with the potential to enjoy our showers.  For all of these things I am grateful. 

The weather is getting colder.  We pass the same homeless people on the street every Sunday on our way to church.  I wonder where do these folks go?  I know some sleep on the greenspace near the Madison street exit on I 290.  Michael, one of the regulars, greets all passerbyers with a big smile, a joyous voice.  "Good Morning. God Bless."  I wonder about his mother.  His partner. Does he have even have one? Does he have children?  How does he stay warm in the winter.  How does he stay healthy.  Almost more importantly, how does he stay safe?

I have a home. I have food and warmth. I have a loving husband and family.  I have health. I am so grateful. However, simply stating how grateful I am is not enough.  What can I do to "pass these gifts on?" What is one concrete action that I could do to express this gratitude that could be embedded in my being?

No comments:

Post a Comment