Wednesday, June 14, 2017

We were playing doctor . . . .

Unresolved feelings. Last night, my daughters had a friend over, let's call him Eric. My girls love Eric, as do my husband and myself. we could hear the three of them downstairs, listening to 'Annie' music. We have been doing this since April, when our sitter played the delicious part of Ms. Hannigan.

I am stuck. I am having difficulty writing this. Fast forward an hour. I am talking to Eric's mom outside in my backyard when my older daughter came outside. I say,

"Ladybug, where are your sister and Eric?"
"Mom, they locked the bathroom door and won't let me in?"
"Locked the bathroom door? What are they doing in there?"

Needless to say, I was concerned, but not too concerned, because Eric is a nice kid. Moments later, he shows up outside with our cat.

"What were you doing in the bathroom with Honeypie? That is not appropriate!" his mother says firmly to him.

They leave. I go inside and I speak to Honeypie. I am not mad at her. I am concerned, however, I think that my tone indirectly shamed her. We talk for a few minutes. Eric pulled her pants down. She said that she did not want that to happen and that she covered her parts.I explained to her that this was not her fault, but then in the same breath talked to her about who is allowed to see her parts.

Afterwards, Honeypie was angry. She wanted to throw her birthday present away. I simply held her. I feel emotionally barren and unable to fully provide the care she needed in that moment. 

Ironically, Eric's mother called me after the incident where we talked about this.  

http://www.stopitnow.org/sites/default/files/documents/files/do_children_sexually_abuse_other_children.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment