Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Quiet Moment

Aahh. A quiet moment. These are rare, these days as I am trying to juggle 3 part-time jobs with a two year old. I don't know how some folks do it. But in the end, I guess we all do it, just some of us are more worse for the wear. Sweet Pea is at Grandma's house tonight with her dad. Her cousin is there tonight and I am sure they are enjoying the festivities. I would love to be there too... alas, I am grading papers. Actually, they are outlines for this class that I am teaching. In seeing the final product, I am greatly disappointed. It's as if the instructions that I had given in class, on Blackboard, in various emails, went in one ear and out the other. I am wondering if I texted them in bits every 5 seconds if the students would actually digest them more easily.

I reflect on this, and realize, really, that this is not a problem. Cancer - that's a problem. The loss of someone you love - Problem. These are the kinds of problems that are troubling my neighbors as of late. It certainly gives one perspective and makes me grateful for my own little bumps.

This is the kind of perspective that hit me yesterday when Sweet Pea awoke from her nap. She has been on this 'zoo' kick as of late. She loves the elephants and lions the best. Upon awakening yesterday, she ran into the living room as I was posting and was saying 'zoo, zoo, Mommy.'
Well, it was grey and drizzling outside and the zoo was closing in two hours. I was quite comfortable where I was, but how could I resist? Zoo it was. We had a great hour there, despite the fact that the elephants had already turned in for the night. Funny, while we were out there, she did not even seem to mind the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment