Thursday, October 8, 2009

To sleep, or not to sleep, that is the question!

Sweet Pea truly is a comedienne at heart. Yesterday, while trying to put her down for her nap, she informed me quite forcefully, that she wanted to lay down by herself.

"Move, mommy. Sleep self."

Naturally, I was thrilled. Could it be that she was going to finally, go to sleep on her own. Wow! This is way to easy. I cannot wait to tell her dad.

Me: So, Sweet Pea, you want to go to sleep by yourself.
SP: Me, shut door.
Me: Oh, you would also like to shut the door yourself?
SP: Yeah.
Me: Ok. Make sure after you shut the door, that you get into bed. Ok? Good Night.
SP: Kiss first
Me: Ok, ((MMMMM)
Me: Good Night.

So, I turned my back to finish the dishes. It was way to quiet in there. As I snuck back to check in on her, I could see her peering out the French Doors to her room, looking at me, smiling.

SP: See that? (she said as she opened the door wide, proud as can be).
Me: See what? Say, isn't it time for nap? I am going to come in there and lay down with you until you fall asleep.
SP: NOOOOOOOOoooooo! Sleep self .
Me: MMmm. Ok. But if you come out again, that means you are telling Mommy that you want my help. Ok
SP: Ok

Pause

SP: Kiss first.
ME: Ok. MMMMM.
SP: Kiss dolly.
Me: OK. MMMMM

And so it went. I called in my resident parental expert (my sister of 4 kids, 2 cats, and 1 dog) to consult her on this very important step. Who wants to crush a child's desire to be independent? Yet, no nap means one very crabby kid. So we reviewed the situation at hand. Ultimately, the kid was snoozing by 3 pm in my arms after reading "Go, Dog. Go." for the third time that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment