Thursday, January 7, 2010

Dreamings

I first came upon this term when we were in Australia and New Zealand over five years ago. Apparently, the Aboriginal People termed their "paintings" dreamings. These dreamings consisted of their story that could only be interpreted by someone in their clan. The true meaning could not be explained to an outsider as they would not truly appreciate the story and the history. So, as an outsider, I could truly appreciate the deep hues, beautiful colors, and artistry of the work, I never would get the fully meaning.

This dreaming reminded me of my experience with Sweet Pea, who I really, when I look at it, refer to as Ladybug, most of the time. At any rate, we are in the process of weaning Ladybug from her night nursings. This has been going on for over 1 week and frankly, I did not realize how stressful it has been for her until this afternoon. After a morning of nursing and reading, sleep finally fell upon our little Ladybug. two hours had passed when I heard her little voice.

Ladybug: Mommy? Mommy?
Me: Yes, Ladybug. Are you still in the boat? (We had made the bed a boat during naptime today).
Ladybug: Mommy? Are you ok? Snake hurt you?
Me: Snake hurt me? Ladybug, Mommy is ok.
Ladybug: Snake hurt you.
Me: No Sweetie. Mommy is ok. I think you were dreaming.
Ladybug: Dreaming Snake hurt mommy.
Me: Sweetie. You were dreaming. I am ok. See? But where did the snake hurt mommmy?
Ladybug: 'Snake hurt mommy milk. Gave shot. Turn off.

Needless to say, I am really glad that we had spent the morning nursing, nursing, nursing. Despite the fact that she sometimes acts older for her age, I have to remember that she is two. She may need mommy to go a bit slower on these developmental tasks.

I love you sweetie.

No comments:

Post a Comment