Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Night Weaning

We have been trying this night weaning thing now since December 30, 2009. Essentially, we let Ladybug know that the milk is off when the Moon is up and that the milk comes on again when the sun is up. I know that she gets it. She was able to process this without any difficulty when I had a few procedures that required no breastfeeding for 24 hours earlier last year.

Lately, she has been waking up in the middle of the night, inconsolable, strongly desiring the 'mommy milk.' It breaks my heart. However, she really does sleep better when the milk is off, and with her getting sick earlier last week, I am becoming somewhat of a sleep tyrant when it comes to her getting her sleep.

Despite his being a LLL kid, D is frustrated that she is not entirely weaned yet. I on the other hand, feel strongly about the importance of breastfeeding both from an immunological as well as a emotional perspective. I am certain that she will not be breastfeeding forever.

We can only hope that we will all make it peacefully through this transitional time.

No comments:

Post a Comment